Food Trucks By The Numbers

Food trucks offered everything from cupcakes to hotdogs and fries. Credit Myra Lopez

By Rebecca Thiele| St. Charles Patch

Food trucks offered everything from cupcakes to hotdogs and fries. Credit Myra Lopez

Municipalities in the St. Louis region have very different regulations when it comes to food trucks. Here’s what a street vendor has to do, and pay, to be able to operate in each city or county.

See related – Cities Differ in Attitude, Policies Toward Food Trucks

City Process Costs Number of Vendors
St. Charles City Must apply for a conditional use permit and have that permit approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission as well as the city council. Depending on the business, street food vendors can also apply for a business license through the city. $150 for a conditional use permit. Business licenses are either $150 or, if year round, the collections office determines how much you will pay. 6 vendors operating this year. 2 voted down on Main Street.
St. Charles County Complete the application and pay fees. Sign a commissary agreement and pass commissary inspection. Send the county your vending route and menu. The establishment must be fully functioning. $80 for a new permit or renewed permit. $60 for the county to review plans. 60 vendors operating in the entire county
O’Fallon According to the city’s Public Relations Director Tom Drabelle, street food vending simply is not allowed. N/A 0
St. Peters Apply for a permit and it is either approved or denied by the Planning and Zoning Commission. City code says no one is permitted to sell in any “right-of-way, City streets, highways, alleys or thoroughfares within the City.” In vacant lots or parking lots, you have to get permission from the property owner and must ensure restrooms and parking for customers. $75 for a temporary application, for the full year it is $100 Inquires have been made, but none have applied for a permit
St. Louis City Apply for a permit with the Director of Streets in the Downtown Vending District and also with the Director of Parks and Recreation if in the City Parks Vending District. Permits must be approved by the Board of Public Service with a recommendation from the director(s) who processed your application. Food vendors must also purchase peddler’s license as well as pay for each employee operating out of the truck. Food trucks, trailers, and other mobile food vendors must also get a roaming license. Request For Proposal (RFP) bids are a minimum of $500, but can go up to $6,000 according to Mark Revolta from the city’s Street Department. The Board of Public Service decides how much you should pay. Peddler’s license costs $200, plus $20 for each employee. A roaming license is $500. 11 food trucks this year as part of a pilot program. According to Jeff Pupillo, there should be 19 food trucks before the end of this month. Countless sidewalk vendors within designated areas of the city.
St. Louis County Fill out an application and pay fees. At least two inspections to make sure establishment is up to code. The county will grant a permit. A final inspection will be done by an Environmental Representative before the place opens. $100 for a mobile food unit. $35 for a pushcart. Seasonal food establishments are $75. 41 vendors operating this year. 35 vendors operating in 2010.

**All food vendors must be approved by the health department