By Contributor | MapsofWorld.com
The capital of Turkey is paradise for those who love budget travel and a glitzy culture. It’s also a haven for foodies with street food ruling the roost. Here’s a list of the top street food you must try in the vivid souqs and markets of Istanbul –
- Midye Dolma is mussels filled with rice, pine nuts, raisins and spices. This is had with a dash of lemon and olive oil
- Borek pies baked with a filling of local cheeses, spinach, or meat are the breakfast favorites as the locals head out to work
- Yaprak Sarma is a dish of vine leaves stiffed with rice, and herbs. It is cooked in olive oil and served with a yogurt sauce
- Doner Durum, a toasted dürüm is served with kaşar cheese and döner meat. Döner is typically lamb, chicken, or beef grilled on a vertical skewer.
- Dilli Kaşarlı is sliced smoked tongue with kaşar.
- Lahmacun is a flatbread served with minced vegetables and minced meat
- A medley of pickled cabbage, pepper, cucumber, and other vegetables served in a spicy juice is sold from street carts across the city.
- Sucuk Ekmek is ground beef and spices served in bread as a sandwich
- Chicken and chickpeas Pilav (steamed rice)is served hot from carts at night
The luscious food culture of Tukey, Istanbul in particular, is the crown of this tourist paradise.