By Contributor | The Star Online
JOHOR BARU: Food truck operators operating at Dataran Bandaraya Johor Baru have been given several options to cease their operations in the area.
Johor Baru mayor A. Rahim Nin said the Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) had recently held a meeting with the 15 operators to discuss the issue.
“They were supposed to move out last year, after being notified, but are still operating here,” he told reporters after chairing the full council meeting on Thursday.
Rahim said the council had received complaints from the public visiting Dataran Bandaraya about facing problems parking their cars at night as the parking lots were taken over by the food trucks.
He said motorists had no choice but to park their vehicles along the roadside and that the situation worsens if sports events or carnivals were held there.
“In the meeting, we told the operators that they have a month or two to move out and continue their businesses elsewhere,” said Rahim.
He said the council had identified four places under the MBJB’s jurisdiction for them to operate the food trucks and it was up to them to make the choice.
Rahim said the places were open spaces in Bandar Baru Uda, Taman Impian Emas, Taman Sentosa and the abandoned Lot One shopping complex.
“The owner of Lot One shopping complex had agreed to convert the open space as parking lots for motorists and for the food truck operators,’’ said Rahim.
He said to date there were 24 food truck operators registered with the council and licensed to sell food and drinks from their trucks at open spaces but that only 15 were active.
Rahim said the truck operators were all locals and foreigners were not licensed to operate the food trucks, adding that MBJB would continue to monitor the situation to ensure the operators do not abuse their licence.