In 2010, the Naperville City Council approved a policy pertaining to free-standing vendor carts in downtown Naperville. The vending carts are retricted to designated locations and subject to certain conditions and application requirements.
The process to select qualified vendors for 2011 is closed. A Request for Qualifications (RFQ) will be issued in fall 2011 to begin the selection process for vendors in 2012. For more information on this process, see the Vendor Selection Process section of this webpage.
The City of Naperville will permit a maximum of four (4) mobile vending carts in the downtown per year. Applicants will not be considered for a Downtown Food Vending License unless the following minimum criterion is met:
- Proposed vendor must possess a valid DuPage County Health Department Permit;
- Proposed vendor must be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
- Proposed vendor must not be a registered sex offender as defined in the Sex Offender License Act; and
- Proposed vendor must pass a criminal background check.
In addition, successful applicants will be required to comply with Section 3-7 (Peddlers and Solicitors), as follows:
- $275 permit fee per vendor per calendar year.
- Vendor shall file and pay 1% food and beverage taxes as required in Section 3-1-9 of the Naperville Municipal Code.
- Vendor shall file and pay 1.5% downtown food and beverage taxes as required in Section 3-1-9 of the Naperville Municipal Code.
- Vendor shall file and pay the taxes required by the State of Illinois, including sales tax.
- Vendor shall provide Commercial General Liability Insurance in an amount specified by the City of Naperville.
- Qualified vendors shall be restricted to 1 of 4 approved downtown vending locations with a maximum of 1 vending cart allowed per location.
- Vending operations shall be limited in hours of operation (11 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; 10:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.).
- Vending operations shall be limited to food sales only.
- Vending licenses shall be subject to an annual bidding process.
- Other requirements may be applicable as determined through the bidding process.
In fall of each year, the City of Naperville will issue a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) seeking parties interested in vending in downtown Naperville for the following calendar year.
A selection committee comprised of City of Naperville staff and representatives from the Downtown Naperville Alliance (DNA) and Downtown Advisory Commission (DAC) will evaluate, score, and interview vendors who have submitted a response. The four highest-ranking vendors will be selected to vend at 1 of 4 downtown vending locations; vending locations will be selected by the Committee for the vendor based on scoring and ranked preferences. Vendors for future calendar years will be selected through a similar bidding process.
More information on the RFQ process will be posted to this page as it becomes available.